According to dendrologist or arborist (both mean : One who studies trees), the banana’s tree is not a tree it is a herb. Definition of Herb : Any plant with leaves, seeds, or flowers used for flavoring, food, medicine, or perfume. The tree is actually the largest herbaceous flowering plant in the world which on an average is 20 – 25 feet tall.
The green stem which we see in the plant is known as Pseudo Stem. The Pseudo stem is made up of leafs which are bound together to make a strong base. The real stem is located under ground which keeps reproduces one after the other.
Each part of Banana herb is thus useful:
- The high iron content in bananas increases hemoglobin in blood.
- Helpful in regulating bowel movement.
- In hangover, a banana-honey milkshake relieves you. Milk helps lining up stomach & bananas and honey build up depleted blood sugar levels.
- Bananas are rich source of potassium which makes a person very alert and also it normalizes heartbeat and regulates water balance.
- Bananas also contain a feel good protein called serotonin whose second name is ‘happy hormone’ as it makes you feel happy and relaxed.
- Bananas are rich in Vitamin C, A, B6 and B12.
- Bananas also help contain your addiction to Nicotine(Cigarette Smokers) as the high content of Potassium and Magnesium helps the body recover from nicotine withdrawal.
- A ripe banana mashed and applied on the face is great at moisturizing and nourishing tired and dry skin.
- The peel of a banana fruit can be rubbed on a mosquito bite with good effect, the stinging sensation stops and the swelling also reduces.
- It is also a rich source of potassium and vitamin B6 which helps in the production of insulin and hemoglobin. Eating banana stem once a week keeps high blood pressure in control.
- The leaves are not eaten but while steaming food inside the leaves some of the polyphenols are imparted to the food.
- The flower has been used in traditional medicine to treat bronchitis, constipation and ulcer problems. It eases menstrual cramps.
So folks, start eating bananas !!!